Obesity medications are developed to help people lose weight and control weight. Medications are not always the right way to go and you should talk to your doctor before taking any weight-loss drugs. Orlistat was one of the first approved weight-loss medications and many people are using it to aid their weight-loss and improve their health. You can see some reviews or Orlistat here.
What is Orlistat?
Orlistat is the active ingredient in Xenical and Alli. Xenical is a prescription drug and Alli is a lower dosage form that can be bought over the counter. Orlistat is a lipase inhibitor that prevents the body from absorbing fat that you ingest when you eat.
What is the Dosage?
Alli is only sold to adults over the counter. Xenical can be prescribed to adults and children older than 12 years of age. Alli is not safe for children younger than 18 years of age.
The dosage is one capsule three times a day with each meal that contains fatty foods to be taken orally. It can be taken either during the meal or within one hour after eating.
What are the Possible Side-Effects?
Any medication, whether prescription or over the counter, has side effects. This is why you need to consult your doctor before taking any medications. The side effects include:
- Reduced absorption of fat-soluble vitamins and minerals which can lead to a shortage of these in the body. It is suggested that anyone taking Orlistat also take vitamin and mineral supplements to counter this side effect.
- Negative effects on the gastrointestinal system which can include fatty stools, fatty stains in underwear, gas, oily discharges, discolouration of stool, increased need for bowel movements, stomach pain, and nausea. To help reduce these side effects, it is suggested that patients who take Orlistat avoid ingesting high-fat foods while taking the medication.
Tips for Taking Orlistat
It is important that all prescribed and over-the-counter medications be taken as indicated by your doctor and the instructions on the containers. The Orlistat treatment should be combined with a low-calorie diet and an exercise program that will assist weight-loss and improve general health.
Here are some other tips:
- Always consult your doctor before taking a weight-loss medication.
- Inform your doctor of any other medications you are taking. Certain medications can work against Orlistat and reduce its effectiveness or vice versa.
- Only buy your Alli or Xenical from trusted distributors and online pharmacies.
- Weight-loss medication should not be used as the only measure for losing weight. It is to be used as an aid combined with a healthy diet and daily exercise.
- Know the side effects and dangers of taking Orlistat.
- Inform your doctor when you start to experience serious side effects or drastic changes in your health.
Orlistat is an effective and very popular weight-loss drug that is used by many people without problems. It is very important that Alli and Xenical be only taken with a doctor’s consent and supervision. Orlistat may help you get to the weight you want to be, but always be aware of the side effects.